Turret: Word of the Week


Turret – In architecture, a turret is a small tower that projects vertically from the wall of a building. You may be familiar with turrets protruding from the side of a medieval castle. But they are still found today in many styles of design.Turrets were used to provide a projecting defensive position allowing covering fire to the…

Read More

Soldier Course: Word of the Week

Gray Brick

A soldier course is a row of bricks laid vertically with the long narrow side of the brick exposed. You’ll often see the soldier course around a door or window as way to accentuate the trim and define the transition between wall and opening. Or it can act as the transition between two materials, as seen in the picture.

Read More

Rowlock: Word of the Week


Rowlock – In the boating world, a rowlock is the U-shaped device that holds an oar in place and acts as a fulcrum during rowing. But this website is based in the construction world. Around here, a rowlock refers to a classification of laid brick. It defines how the exposed face of the brick is…

Read More

Hose Bibb: Word of the Week

Hose Bibb

Hose Bibb – In construction, sometimes things are called by a different name than what the rest of the general public calls them. Case in point : hose bibb. When you go to hook up your garden hose so you can water your grass or tomatoes, you might say you’re using the spigot or faucet.…

Read More