Our Word of the Week – Ogee


Ogee Ogee, pronounced like saying the letters O.G., refers to a shape seen often in architecture and woodworking. An ogee shape is a curved shape that resembles an “s” shape (on its side). It has two opposing curves that make up its length. The shape you see on traditional mouldings (crown moulding or otherwise) and baseboard caps is often an ogee. Also, some gothic archways utilize the ogee form – ogee up one side and mirrored down the other makes an ogee archway. The shape of a standard rain gutter is an ogee.

Go ahead and impress your friends. Identify a shape as an ogee, instead of calling it curved or “s” shape. Or better yet, use the word “ogee” in a game of Scrabble.


Bill Hirsch | Architect

Bill Hirsch

Leave a Comment